Thursday, June 9, 2011

Good Bye & Good Luck Vizag

You can say goodbye to people. But can you really bid farewell to a city.?



I came to Vizag in Septmber 2006 with a single agenda of earning livilihood and in a way revive my
self respect which was lost in the turmoil of being jobless in preceding three months.

I have to admit that initially I hated this place. There was no particular reason. May be unrest in my
heart brought the worst of me. But at the end I submitted to the temptation the city provided and
fall in love with the place.

In these last 57 months , in between hundred hangovers,  I cherish those night drives with friends ,
numerous office gossips , alone moments in the beach measuring weight of sand in hand or on the
rooftop making figures in cigarette smoke or roamings through city on my bike when it rained.

But all the moments are lost forever like tears in the rain. And life goes on.

I can remember the first lines of a old ghazal ' Ab ke hum Bichde to shayad kabhi khwabon mein
mile , Jis terah sookhe hue phul kabhi kitabone mein mile '(In case we get separated this time ,
we may meet in our dreams like those dead flowers we find inside books)

And the first few lines of New Slang (The Shins), which goes as follows

                    Gold teeth and a curse for this town were all in my mouth.

                    Only, i don't know how they got out, dear.
                    Turn me back into the pet that i was when we met.
                     I was happier then with no mind-set.


                     And if you'd 'a took to me lik A gull takes to the wind.
                     Well, i'd 'a jumped from my tree
                     And i'd a danced like the king of the eyesores
                     And the rest of our lives would 'a fared well


So without any pretense or confusing emotions , I bid farewell fom Vizag as I bid farewell fom a friend  , 'Good Bye and Good Luck Vizag'


 

1 comment: